For all other UMBC departments and external partners, please visit Event & Conference Services, UMBC’s full-service event planning support team, and a one-stop-shop for scheduling event spaces and resources on the UMBC campus.
Questions to Ask Before You Begin
The questions below may assist you as you begin the planning process for your event. These will help provide a framework as the event develops and evolves, and will help with a focused direction and effective use of resources. Well-organized and well-executed events provide opportunities to build on and strengthen the positive reputation of UMBC.
Goals and Objectives:
- What are the key goals and objectives of this event as it relates to the mission of the department, UMBC, and/or alumni engagement?
- Who is the target audience?
- What is the desired outcome and what do you want your guests to take away from this experience?
- How will you gauge the effectiveness of your event? (client/audience survey, statistical data)
Planning and Programming:
- Who will be the lead producer on this event?
- What is your budgeted amount, and from where are the funds coming?
- What day of the week will this event be held? (Consider your audience when choosing date/time i.e. Monday’s are difficult for attendance, consider traffic when selecting time of day, consider your catering budget when selecting time of day)
- What type of event is this? (meeting, reception, dinner, performance, etc.)
- What are your program elements? (speakers, format, video, AV presentation, performers, catering, etc.)
- In what order will your program elements flow?
- Are VIPs invited and if so, who will handle the event flow logistics for them?
- How are you going to invite your audience? (print invitation, email invitation, social media, website, etc.)
- From where will your list of invitees come?
- After the invitation, how will you promote your event? (social media, email follow ups, website, fliers, etc.)
- Have you reserved your location?
- If food and beverages are planned, have you selected a caterer?
- Have you identified your AV needs and who will be providing them?
- Where will you have your guests park?
- Have you designed your space layout? (tables, chairs, stage, registration, food prep)
- Will you need photography or videography?
- Who will be managing the RSVP lists?
- Will VIPs be invited and if so, who will be the point person?
- Have you considered dietary needs?
- How will you accommodate special needs?
- How many people will you need to staff the event, and have you identified who they will be?
- Will you need to order plaques, awards, speaker gifts, etc.?
- Who will be responsible for getting alumni attendee information to the alumni office?
- Who will be responsible for completing the final expense report?
- Will you be sending out a survey to participants?